Friday, April 20, 2007

FUCK YEAH 420!!

420 has to be one of the stupidest days of the year. Even more stupid than St. Patrick's day or Valentine's day. I have this weird feeling that 420 was created to combat neo-nazis, as 420 doubles as Hitler's b-day. All them neo-nazis getting stoned and forgetting who to hate on, feeling the love. I make way to many 420 jokes around work and friends, only to find out that they take the day quite seriously.

"Oh shit! I'm gonna call in sick on Friday"

For all of you living in Winnipeg who decided to stay home Wednesday night, you missed out. It was probably one of the best/funniest nights ever at the Albert.

The show included the Singletons (poppy punk), Raiden (youngsters hatin'), Red Don (new Observers), and the Clorox Girls (power pop punk).

The two touring bands from Portland - Clorox Girls/Red Dons - kicked some ass.

Red Dons were up first and although having numerous sound problems played a great set. They included 4 or 5 songs off of the Observers full length "What's Left Now?", and a slew of new songs that we're all great. I picked up their 7inch and listened to it around 3 times last night.

reddons7inch

The Clorox Girls set was amazing. By this point in the evening everyone was well inebriated and getting rowdy. Idiots kept being "punk" and getting up on stage knocking over mic stands and collapsing on the drum set causing them to stop playing one of my favourite Clorox Girls songs "Virgin Suicide". No one seemed to care though. I don't even want to acknowledge the other things I saw that night.

Thursday night I went and saw "The Host", with Timmy and his two compadres. It was a Korean monster movie to the best of my knowledge. It also meddled with the idea of non-existent diseases/viruses, such as The Sars and the usage of bio-chemical warfare (in the movie a gas called "Agent Yellow" is used).

The monster looked like a big ugly fish, and ate people. I don't know what more to say. The movie was predictable and I was never thrilled nor impressed.

thehost

No comments: