Monday, April 16, 2007

Thursday - Friday

Search + Destroy played a show at the Albert Thursday night with Born Bad, No Fun, and The Quagmire. I kind of swore I'd never go there again after the last show I witnessed, which entailed blood and broken beer bottles. Fortunately Thursday was possibly the first and last show we will ever play there. The Albert found the bands to be disrespectful (what?), Mike the microphone destroyer broke 2 mics, and Ryan crawled into an air vent and got yelled at by some cowboy. All in all the show was a million times better than I had ever expected and now I'm really stoked for our tour.

Videos here, here and here.

The night after that I went and saw Grindhouse with Wynston and his sidekick Timmy. We went to the 7 pm showing at the Globe. I like the Globe a lot, because:
A. No one goes there
B. Still has cheap Tuesday ($5)
C. Center isle, so I can put my feets up!
D. Wicked popcorn, and free re-fills

The first of the two films; Planet Terror, was a mild let-down. It reminded me of a high budget Troma film. They attempted to make the entire film look "old" or "worn out" with 2 tons of grain effects. It didn't work out to well considering the film was shot on high grade film. They had a pile of classic clichés though, there were even missing reels in both films right before the sexy parts.

The second film was Death Proof which was fucking amazing. To simply summarize this movie - A rape revenge movie with cars. It built so slowly at one point I turned to Wynston and said: "Is this going anywhere". The best part of this entire film was the chase scenes. When you're watching a chase scene or car explosion in current cinema you're ooooing and awwwwing at the CGI effects. In this film your swearing at the screen because someone could actually fucking beef it! I also love Kurt Russell, Overboard has to be one of my favourite movies of all time.

deathproof

I was thinking of going to see Grindhouse again, but arriving just in time for the in-between screeners (Thanks Giving was killer) and Death Proof.

No comments: